At a glance
Ranger Patrol features development of front crawl, back crawl
and breaststroke over 75 m each, a 100 m lifesaving medley and
timed 200 m swims.
- Demonstrate 1 forward AND 1 backward somersault in the water as
a continuous sequence.
- Stride entry and swim 25 m or yd. head-up front crawl or
breaststroke. Assume ready position.
- Demonstrate 25 m or yd. eggbeater kick on back.
- Support a 2.3 kg (5 lb.) object for at least 1 minute in deep
- Head-up approach into surface dive to a maximum depth of 2 m.
Swim underwater for at least 2-3 m or yd. to recover a small
object. Surface and carry object to starting point.
- Demonstrate an assisted removal of a conscious victim.
- Swim front crawl, back crawl, and breaststroke (75 m or yd.
- Swim a 100 m or yd. individual medley as follows: 25 m or yd.
each of lifesaving kick, back crawl, breaststroke, front
- Swim 200 m in 6 minutes or better (200 yd. in 5:20 min.) using
any stroke or combination of strokes of the swimmer's choice.
- Demonstrate a primary assessment including hazards and ABCs on
an unconscious, breathing victim.
- Demonstrate emergency care for a victim in shock.
- Simulate the appearance and treatment of a conscious adult or
child victim with an obstructed airway.
- a) Demonstrate ability to simulate in the water the
appearance of a weak swimmer, a non-swimmer and an unconscious
victim. b) Demonstrate ability to recognize the
difference between a weak swimmer and non-swimmer, and to recognize
the unconscious victim. c) Demonstrate the ability to
recognize and avoid victims who present a danger to the
- Perform a non-contact rescue using a buoyant aid. Approach 20 m
or yd. and encourage victim to safety while maintaining a safe
distance and calling for assistance. Rescuer performs appropriate
follow-up procedures, including treatment for shock.